This is a basic Bolognese recipe, which can either be cooked in the microwave or on the hob. It can then be eaten immediately, or frozen as one or in portions for a later date.
For a vegetarian alternative, substitute Beef mince for Quorn. You will most probably need the extra water.
If you want to add more vegetables, you can put in diced carrot or celery when cooking step 1.
Bolognese is a recipe that can be adapted to make different meals.
- Chilli con carne, Add a can of kidney beans in chilli sauce and serve with rice.
- Cottage pie, put meat mixture into an oven-proof dish about half full, and top with mashed potato.
- Lasagne. Layer meat mixture with lasagne sheets and cheese sauce.
- 1 tbsp veg or olive oil. Alternatively use spray oil
- 1 Garlic clove peeled and finely chopped. Alternatively use 1 tsp lazy or pureed garlic.
- 1 onion finely chopped. Alternatively use two handfuls of frozen onion.
- 500 g Pack minced beef.
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs or oregano.
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- Using a large bowl which fits your microwave, put 1 tbsp oil, garlic and onion into the bowl and cook on high power for 1 and a half minutes.
- Add the beef mince, 2 tbsp tomato puree and 2 tsp herbs to the bowl and mix. Cook for another 4 minutes stirring half way.
- Add 1 can chop tomatoes and the broken up stock cube to the mix and stir. Cook for a further 5 minutes stirring half way. If mixture feels dry at this point, use the tomato tin and fill roughly a third full with water and stir into the mixture.
- Put 1 tbsp oil, garlic and onion into the pan and cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add mince and stir. All meat needs to be browned. This means the meat will have a slightly crisper texture. It should take around 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp herbs, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato puree and stir.
- Add the broken up stock cube and stir into the pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes stirring occasionally. If it becomes a bit dry, add a 3rd of a can of water using the tomato can.
- Serve with your chosen pasta.