The official braille code in the United Kingdom is Unified English Braille, an international code ratified by all of the major English-speaking countries and maintained by the International Council on English Braille (ICEB). National braille decisions are made by the United Kingdom Association for Accessible Formats (UKAAF).
There are many free training and reference resources available in the UK and overseas. We recommend these pages for a list:
- The UEB page of the ICEB website
- The UEB Training page of the ICEB website
- The UEB page of the UKAAF website
- The Braille Music page of the ICEB website
We also highly recommend exploring the following websites:
The remainder of this page deals with UK-specific resources available from RNIB.
Free Hard Copy Resources for Beginner Braillists
Free Hard Copy Resources for Readers Wishing to Convert from SEB to UEB
- UEB Quick Reference Guide: a single page summary of changes available in grade 1 (TC21428) and grade 2 (TC21427).
- Summary of UEB Changes: a more detailed list of changes available in grade 1 (25258703) and grade 2 (25258802).
- UEB Sample Document + Crib Sheet, available in grade 2 (25187402).
Resources Available for Purchase in the UK
Courses for Children
- First Stage:
- Hands ON (formerly Braille For Infants): Full Course (TC21403, £115) + Teacher’s Handbook available for £15.00 in print (TC21404) and braille (TC21405).
- Second Stage:
- Take Off: Main Course (TC21413, £150) + Teacher’s Handbook available for £15.00 in print (TC21415P), braille (TC21415UEB) and DAISY Audio (TC21415DCD).
- The Abi Books: Adventures of a Young Blind Girl: full set (TC21432, £115.00), books 1-20 (TC21429, £40.00), books 21-30 (TC21430, £40.00) and books 31-40 (TC21431, £50.00) + Teacher’s Handbook available for £15.00 in print (TC21433) and braille (TC21434).
Courses for Adults
- Grade 1:
- Dot-To-Dot: distance learning course: course books available for £39.99 for touch readers (TC21441) and sight readers (TC21442) + instructions available for £7.50 on audio CD (TC21443CD), multi-media CD (TC21443M) and in print (TC21443P).
- Grade 2:
- Fingerprint: distance learning course for touch readers: course books (TC21439, £39.00) + instructions available for £15.00 on audio CD (TC21439CD), multi-media CD (TC21439M) and in print (TC21439P) and braille (TC21439B).
- Fingerprint Reference Book: one of the volumes of the main Fingerprint course, but available separately for those who just want to brush up their braille. Available for £5.00 in braille (TC21440).
Magazines for Adult Touch Readers Learning Braille
- Ready, Steady, Read! available from RNIB at £2.08 per issue. It can be ordered as a quarterly (£6.24), half yearly (£12.48) or yearly (£24.96) subscription and new readers can receive a trial issue. For more information, call the RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999 or email [email protected].
For Sighted Readers, Teachers and Transcribers
- The Braille Primer: a comprehensive guide to contracted braille for people wishing to learn to write braille or for who want to become transcribers. Available for £9.90 in print (TC21423P), large print (18pt) (TC21423LP) and braille (TC21423B).
- Washy: graduated braille reading exercises based on the Braille Primer. Available for £2.65 in braille (26043402).
- RNIB Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB) (BCMAY20): a distance learning course based on the Braille Primer, £365.00.
- Using UEB for Mathematics: a guide to representing mathematics in Unified English Braille, by David Spybey. Available for £9.99 in print (TC21445) and braille (TC21446).
- Using UEB for Science: a guide to representing science in Unified English Braille, by Vernon Webb. Available for £9.99 in print (TC21448) and braille (TC21449).
- The Braillists Manual: standard reference on braille transcription with detailed information on layout and editing for a range of material such as books, leaflets and articles. Available for £18.00 in print (TC21451) and braille (TC21450).