The Braillists will be pausing events over the Christmas period, starting on the 19th of December, finishing on the 3rd of January.
Author: Ed Rogers
Apply for free Braille equipment!
We are very excited to be offering free Braille reading, writing and learning equipment to Braillists newsletter subscribers and master-class attendees based in the UK or Ireland.
Below is a list of what can be sent. We hope this will help you follow along with our master-classes and to practice Braille in your own time:
- An A4 Braille frame.
- A pocket interline record card Braille frame (the Janus).
- A stylus.
- Samples of A4 Braille paper.
- Samples of 5×3″ index record cards.
- An 8-cell Braille word forming block (for learners).
- A tactile abacus.
There are limited stocks. Therefore please let us know if you don’t want any of the above when you apply so we can reserve them for people who will benefit from them. If you don’t specify we will send one of everything we still have available.
To apply please write in to [email protected] or telephone +4420 3893 3392 with the following information. We also encourage people to apply on behalf of others who may benefit where they cannot apply themselves:
- Confirm that you or the recipient are subscribed to the Braillists newsletter.
- Confirm that you or the recipient are interested in attending our Braille master-classes. These can be attended by telephone or Zoom.
- Confirm the British or Irish postal address to receive the equipment, including postcode.
- Confirm that this equipment will not be resold.
- Confirm that you or the recipient are happy to donate it to another Braille reader when/if it is no longer of any use to you (or post it back to the Braillists).
- Tell us if you don’t want any of the above items.
For data protection reasons your address will only be held by our partner, Vision Through Sound and will not be seen by other Braillists members. If you are not from the UK or Ireland then you can ask on the email forum (http://braillists.org/forum/) for advice on similar resources in your country.
Vision Through Sound can be funded by Co-Op Members
We’re delighted to announce that our partner organisation, Vision Through Sound, has been selected to take part in the Co-op Local Community Fund in the UK. They will be using any money donated by Co-Op members to supporting blind people with accessible mobile phones. Vision Through Sound also work on the Canute project and are distributing the Braillists’ equipment. The more Co-Op members who select them, the more funds they’ll receive:
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
The Braillists Foundation is newly active on both Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/braillistsfoundation) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/braillists).
We’re sharing news and stories and invite anyone with an interest in Braille to join the conversation.
You can also find us on our email forum (http://braillists.org/forum/) of course, where over 200 members discuss all things Braille and tactile media related.