Our weekly food and recipe group. This week Liam will be demonstrating bread making.
The session will walk you through the basics of making bread, from mixing and kneading your dough to shaping it into a loaf and baking. Many people think bread making is quite complicated, but in fact its an easy and incredibly rewarding process, as we hope this session will show!
Liam will be demonstrating some of these techniques live, so if you’d like to follow along at home you’ll need some strong white bread flour (plain will work in a pinch) and some instant yeast. You’ll also need a large mixing bowl (the biggest you own!) and some weighing scales if you have them. We’ve included the ingredients for the recipe below, so you might like to make a head start by weighing out your ingredients ahead of time if you’re planning on following along!
We are planning on recording tonight’s session to make an audio recipe available in future, but we won’t be recording any audience questions.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 500G Strong White bread flour (if you can’t find bread flour, plain flour will work in a pinch)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 7 tbsp Sugar
- Instant dried yeast (in sachets if possible)
- 150ml Water
- 150ml Milk
- 3tbsp Olive or vegetable oil
And the following equipment:
- A large mixing bowl (the biggest bowl you own!)
- Accessible weighing scales (If you don’t have scales you will still be able to make bread as long as you know how much flour you’re starting with)
- A jug
- A glass or cup
- A wooden spoon
- A tablespoon
- A teaspoon
- A clean tea towel
- A baking sheet
- A timer (I use my phone!)
- A cooling rack (optional)