Braille Literacy Canada (BLC) will be holding its third annual virtual braille symposium on Friday, June 2, 2023 from 1 – 5 PM EDT (10am-2pm Pacific/11am-3pm Mountain/Saskatchewan, 12pm-4pm Central, 2pm-6pm Atlantic, 5pm-9pm UTC).
This event will be of interest to braille readers, educators, transcribers, parents, producers and anyone else with a passion for braille literacy!
The schedule of events is as follows:
- 1:00pm EST: Concurrent English/French presentations:
- English: About Braille Files (James Bowden, RNIB, Braille Technical Officer)
- French: Les albums tactiles illustrés des Doigts Qui Rêvent, presque 30 ans d’innovation (Sophie Blain, Les Doigts Qui Rêvent)
- 2:00pm EST: I-M-ABLE: Individualized Meaning-Centered Approach to Braille Literacy Education (Dr. Diane Wormsley, Brenda Brodie Endowed Professor, North Carolina Central University, Retired)
- 3:00 pm EST: Expanding the Frontiers of Literacy: Developing Braille Codes for Indigenous Languages (Jen Goulden and Christine Muise)
- 4:00pm EST: Unified English Braille Across Borders (Frances Gentle, Josie, Howse, Craig Cashmore)
Each presentation will be approximately 30 minutes long, followed by a 15 minute question-and-answer period, and then a 15 minute intermission.
This event is open to anyone in Canada and internationally with an interest in braille.
It is free of charge to members of Braille Literacy Canada (or members of organizations who are corporate members of BLC) and $20.00 for non-members. Interested in becoming a BLC member? Annual membership (open to all Canadians) is $20 – check out our membership section for more information!
Registration will close on Thursday, May 31, 2023 at midnight. Live automatic captioning will be provided for the presentations through Zoom, and written transcripts of the presentations will be made available after the event. (Zoom is not able to support live captioning and transcripts for the French presentation at 1pm EST.)
Once you have submitted your registration, your request will be reviewed and a Zoom link will be e-mailed to you within a few days. If you do not hear from us or you have any other questions, please write to [email protected].